Instagram Bans Graphic Self-Harm Images After Suicide Of Teen In UK

Instagram had come under pressure to ban self-harm content.
The social media giant has admitted it is not “where we need to be on self-harm and suicide”.

5K Store

Instagram announced on Thursday it will ban all graphic self-harm images,

following accusations the platform was partly responsible for the suicide of British teenager Molly Russell.

In a statement, head of Instagram; Adam Mosseri said they had consulted global experts and academics on youth, mental health and suicide prevention. 

“Over the past month we have seen that we are not where we need to be on self-harm and suicide,

READ More  Burna Boy & Stefflon Don Un-follows Each Other On Instagram After Breaking Up

and that we need to do more to keep the most vulnerable people who use Instagram safe.”

“We will not allow any graphic images of self-harm, such as cutting on Instagram

even if it would previously have been allowed as admission,” Mr Mosseri said.

UK teenager Molly Russell.
Supplied by family via BBC

It comes after the family of 14-year-old Molly, who died by suicide in 2017,

discovered she had been viewing graphic images of self-harm on the platform before taking her own life.

“Social media companies, through their algorithms, expose young people to more and more harmful content,

READ More  Marlian Music Presents: Fabian Blu – “Instagram” ft. Naira Marley, Mohbad

just from one click on one post,” Molly’s father Ian said in a statement last month.

“In the same way that someone who has shown an interest in a particular sport may be shown more and

more posts about that sport, the same can be true of topics such as self-harm or suicide.”

MPs and advocacy groups in the UK also blasted the platform in the wake of Molly’s death,

with the minister for suicide prevention Jackie Doyle-Price warning that social media sites were “normalising” self-harm.

READ More  Davido Promises To Announce New Partnership With An Amazing Brand Later Today.

Asked if he would resign if the problem was not solved, Mr Mosseri said he would have “a long thought”

about his performance if self-harm images were still on the site in six months. 

Mr Russell welcome Thursday’s announcement.

“It is now time for other social media platforms to take action to recognise the responsibility

they too have to their users if the internet is to become a safe place for young and vulnerable people,”

he told the BBC.

An inquest into Molly’s death is expected later this year.

5K Store

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.